Clomid belongs to non-steroidal drugs intended for the treatment of infertility. It stimulates ovulation (when the egg leaves the ovary) at the expense of release of hormones by the pituitary gland. This medicine is prescribed for women who have some health problems, when the natural ovulation is impossible, for example, polycystic ovary syndrome.
Clomid can have other indications for use which are not mentioned in this medication instruction. It causes a brief blurred vision; therefore, do not take it if you plan to drive or to perform other actions that require you increased attention.
How to use Clomid?
Use this medicine strictly under the medical supervision and do not change the established dose. Only the doctor can adjust the amount of the drug based on the individual characteristics of the patient to obtain the better results.
There are some other facts you should consider when taking clomiphene:
- each cycle of treatment by Clomid should be preceded by a full gynecological examination and special medical tests. It will help to identify the patient’s possible contraindications;
- during the treatment with this medicine it is important to be under medical supervision. This will make the treatment much safer;
- the intake of clomid usually begins from the 5th day of menstruation and continues for 5 days;
- in most cases it is prescribed no more than 3 treatment courses;
- with proper intake of Clomid ovulation occurs on the 5th -10th day, during this period it is recommended to increase the number of sexual contacts to maximize the chances of pregnancy;
- if you missed the medicine dose, contact your doctor.
It is also recommended to monitor the temperature every day and display it on a special chart. So you will know a more accurate time of ovulation.
Indications for use and dosage
If your aim is to stimulate ovulation then follow the instructions:
- take 50 mg orally every day. The treatment starts on the 5th day of the menstrual period and lasts for 5 days;
- if you have the ovulation but are not pregnant, then you can assigned 2 extra courses of treatment according to the same scheme;
- each new course begins in 30 days after the previous one, when the pregnancy is completely ruled out;
- if ovulation does not occur, in 30 days the patient gets 100 mg a day for 5 days, the third treatment course starts in 30 day after this if necessary.
You shouldn’t exceed the dose given in the instruction. If you took more medication than is needed, urgently seek medical attention.
Clomid is prescribed for oligospermia. In this case it is taken for several months from 25 to 100 mg every day orally during 5 days.
To stop lactation take 50-100 mg of Clomid once a day for 5 days. As a rule, one treatment cycle brings the desired effect.
What is important information I should know about Clomid?
Clomiphene can interact with other medicines. Consult your doctor if you take other drugs, herbal products or vitamins.
Consider the following things before taking the medication:
- do not use Clomid if you are pregnant;
- consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding, this medicine can harm a baby and slow the lactation;
- there is a risk of multiple births;
- more than 3 courses of Clomid can cause the developing of an ovarian tumor.
The drug is contraindicated in liver disease, vaginal bleeding, associated with the pathology, ovarian cyst, disorders in the adrenal glands and the thyroid gland.