Fluoxetine is related to the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) antidepressant. It is prescribed for patients who have problems with the balance of chemical substances in the brain, and therefore are prone to depression, anxiety, panic states and obsessive-compulsive symptoms.
The medication is also used for bulimia nervosa, obsessive-compulsive, premenstrual dysphoric and panic disorders treatment. For people, who suffer from manic depression which cause is in the bipolar disorder, it is prescribed together with another drug – olanzapine (Zyprexa). Before taking such a combination it is necessary to consult a doctor.
What is the important information I should know about Fluoxetine?
Be careful with taking such medicines. At the beginning, they can cause thoughts of suicide, so your doctor should know about all the changes of your mood, behavior, and health. Panic attacks, high anxiety, impulsiveness, hostility towards other people, excessive irritability and hyperactivity must be the basis for the advice of a doctor.
There some other facts which should be taken into consideration:
- do not combine Fluoxetine with pimozide, thioridazine, selegiline, rasagiline, or the injections of methylene blue;
- a minimum of 14 days should pass after receiving the above mentioned drugs before using Fluoxetine;
- an MAOI or thioridazine are allowed to take only in 5 weeks after finishing the course Fluoxetine;
- if you forgot to take the necessary dose on time, just take it later. If it is high time to use another capsule, just skip the missed one;
- while the treatment cycle alcohol is forbidden, it may strengthen the side effects;
- inform your doctor if you take some other medicines to exclude the possible consequences of such interaction.
Fuoxetine influences attention and mental activity. Do not use it before driving or some other activities which demand the increased concentration of attention.
Indications for usage
Use this medication in the full accordance with the doctor’s recommendations. Only doctor can correct the dose. Keep in mind the following:
- do not increase or decrease the prescribed dose;
- do not increase the duration of taking the medication;
- swallow the whole capsule;
- the liquid drug is measured by using a special measuring spoon or syringe;
- the first symptoms of improvement are observed 4 weeks after the start of the reception. If there is no improvement, consult your doctor.
If there are the signs of allergic reactions to the drug, immediately contact for medical assistance.
Among the most common side effects of this medicine there are:
- visual disturbances, swelling or pain in the eyes;
- insomnia or strange dreams;
- increased anxiety or irritability;
- constant feeling of fatigue and weakness;
- disorder of the gastrointestinal tract, vomiting, diarrhea;
- hallucinations, heart palpitations;
- fever, the loss of coordination.
If you observe one or several of such reactions, immediately consult the doctor. Do not stop abruptly taking the drug. The doctor will determine how to gradually stop the medication course and correct the whole treatment.